Sunday, October 16, 2011

Welcome Armadillos!!!

NOT! We are starting to get armadillos in Moncks Corner, SC. Oh boy! I've seen two dead on the side of the road in the past month. What I think is kind of funny is, they must be a challenge to the buzzards and other scavengers. With that hard shell, the carcass stays put for a lot longer than regular furry roadkill.

Also, I read up on them and they can carry the leprosy virus, just like humans. I'm sure they carry salmonella just like most any other animal. They like to burrow. They eat bugs and small invertibrates. Too bad they don't eat mosquitos!!!

It's going to be a challenge to keep them out of the gardens, I'm sure. Trixie, my hunter dog, has been working on ground moles. She hasn't caught one recently...I wish she would. Our yard is lumpy and mushy from all their burrows. I wonder how she'll fare with armadillos? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That's all for now. I have to get outside and transplant some cabbage and collards I've started. DH is mowing the back 40 right now. So I'll get out there and feed the chickens, pull up plants, and wait for him to get done mowing.

Have a great and sunny day! We are.

No comments:

Post a Comment