Monday, April 8, 2013

Thinking About Vermiculture

I've been reading on Squidoo about vermiculture. You know...worm farming. Now, don't go saying 'Yuk' just yet. Here is the deal on these little babies.

First, you'll get some good fertilizer from worm pee and poo.

Second, they'll eat most things that you'd be throwing into your compost heap. This would be like chopped paper, rotten veggies that wouldn't go to the chickens, banana peels, dryer lint, dust from the sweeper, etc. Some of the things not to feed them is citrus, plastics, onions and garlic.

Third, I'd be saving lotsa moola on buying fertilizer for my gardens.

Fourth, just like a good compost heap, they won't smell if you treat them right.

Fifth, they multiply quickly.

Sixth, Hubby would have a supply of fishing worms.

Seventh, I would have another thing to take care of. I like to take care of things. ; )

Eighth, maybe we could sell some?

I'm sure I could go on, but I'll quit for now. I think this would be a really sustainable project for us to try. Hubby is interested in this one. I'll let you know if I do or don't tackle this project.

Now...if I could just find a worm sitter...

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment