Sunday, March 10, 2013

Busy Weekend!

This weekend I put food into the freezer. Woo hoo!!! What I do is pre-make food and put it into the freezer for using later. I like to do this every so often so we can have a variety of foods to warm up during the week. That way I don't have to do so much work during the week. This should last us about a month. I think you'll agree that I've really been busy!

I started on Saturday by making garlic and cheddar biscuits. Then I made Spanish Rice with rice left over to make Peppered Rice on Sunday. Then I made stuffed shells, gnocchi, cookies, banana bread. I pre-freeze the stuffed shells and gnocchi so I can put them into a container and they don't stick together when I pull them out of the freezer. It takes a little time, but it's worth it to be able to get just what I need out of the freezer.
Gnocchi
Today, I finished off by making the Peppered Rice, meatballs and cheater stuffed cabbage. In between making all of this, I made bread dough for dinner rolls, pepperoni rolls and cinnamon pull-apart. This just finished baking a few minutes ago. I'll break apart the rolls and slice the pepperoni rolls to put into the freezer for later. Pre-cooking foods is the way to go, in my book! It helps out so much.
Rolls
Cheater Stuffed Cabbage
Pepperoni Roll
I make all of this and then I portion it out so we don't have to eat so much at one time. It's just two of us and we both have special diets. So it's really necessary that we eat foods that we can control. For Hubby, we watch starch per his doctor. For me, we watch chemicals because this is what I've found to exacerbate my health problems. Even though I make some starchy items, Hubby can eat as long as we monitor everything with his glucose meter. And I just watch everything else to make sure I don't create any electrical problems for myself. The best part is I control everything that goes into our bodies with what I make. Pardon me, but health problems really suck! I have really been blessed by God with my knowledge of cooking. We are both fortunate for this ability!

Here is my recipe for Cheater Stuffed Cabbage, that's what I call it. We had this for dinner tonight.

1# ground beef
1/2# smoked sausage - sliced into 1/2" rounds
1/2 chopped cabbage
1/2 chopped onion
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 8 oz. can water
1/2 or 1 14 oz. can of sauerkraut, drained
Salt and pepper

Brown ground beef and smoked sausage. Add onions, cabbage, tomato sauce, the tomato sauce can full of water and the sauerkraut. This should be enough water because the cabbage and onions will give up a lot of water when cooked. Cover and cook on low, stirring every so often to mix ingredients. When everything is cooked, salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. Makes 4 servings.

Note: I left some sausages whole for Hubby's sandwiches for lunch. If you like kraut, add the whole can. If not, you can use 1/2 can or omit the kraut, totally. There will be a flavor difference if you omit the kraut! 

I hope you enjoyed today's post. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment