Saturday, March 23, 2013

Meatball and Sauerkraut Soup

Today was a first for me. I made Meatball and Sauerkraut soup. It doesn't look exceptionally tasty, but it really is! I found this recipe on allrecipes.com but modified it for what I had. Take a look at the recipe here. There is a picture with the original recipe. Below is how I made it. It was really easy to do.

SAUERKRAUT SOUP
Heat about a quart of water to boiling.
Take 3 tablespoons of butter and melt.
Add 1/2 chopped onion. This wasn't in the original recipe. I use this for extra flavor.
When the onions are transparent, add 1/4 cup flour. Stir together until all the butter is soaked up.
Add the water and whisk vigorously.
Add 1 can evaporated milk. NOT the sweet milk! Whisk some more.
When the milk gets hot, but not boiling, add some precooked meatballs and sauerkraut.
Simmer on low until all is hot. This will take about 30 minutes.
If you need to thicken the liquid, do so.
Salt and pepper to taste.

I made about 4 servings because I had a dozen meatballs on hand.

This is really a yummy recipe, but, like I said, it doesn't look that yummy.

If you try it, let me know. I'd be intrigued to see if you liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment