Monday, March 11, 2013

Flowers Blooming

You know it's Spring when the flowers start blooming.
Mini Daffodils
The mini daffodils are one of those surprise bulbs you get at the lawn center. It says daffodils, but it doesn't say mini anywhere on the package. Too cute! I love them. Pardon the weeds in the background. I haven't had time to get any further than this part of my flower gardens.
Peach Blossoms
Peach blossoms are so pretty! There are only a couple out right now. This means it's time to spray for bugs before the blossoms all come out. If you don't spray, some kind of bug will crawl up into the blossom and lay eggs so it messes up the fruit. Not a good thing! Yes, that's my house in the background. I have a picnic pavilion in front of it that you can see. The red shed to the left is the chicken hotel. The little white hut is our water pump house.
Strawberry Flower
Yes! The strawberry plants are still blooming. Actually, they've been blooming since December, but the frost hits them and you have to get rid of the burnt flowers. This next pic is what I'm talking about.
Frost-burnt Strawberry Flowers
These are prime examples of what a frost-burnt flower looks like. The frost kills the strawberry dead and you should remove the flower so that the plant puts effort into making more roots and flowers. Don't leave it on thinking it will come back. It's dead. Dead is dead. The plant will reward you if you take these off, so don't be afraid to pluck it. If you do pluck one, please notice that the center feels empty. That is a dead strawberry. So pluck away! Plucking or pruning off dead flowers is called dead-heading your flowers.

Take care and see you tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. lovely to see spring sprung in your garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's getting nicer out and I really love being outside. Thanks for stopping by, Helene.

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous, Michelle! We just got 8 inches of snow yesterday. I am so ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Angie. I don't really like snow unless I don't have to go out in it. It is really beautiful to look at. Driving in it...uh, uh! Wishing you warmer weather!

      Delete